Re: [patch] kstat change to see how much Linux SMP really scale well

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:08:15 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > But I see a clever and more fun way to avoid losing ticks in both the irq
> > handler and in the smp timer interrupt, and it's to always calc the delta
> > between rdtsc inside the smp timer irq. I can go into that.
>
> Exactly what I had in mind. Actually I'm surprised that Linux doesn't do
> that already @)

this is a non-issue, really. It simply does not happen. I've profiled a
slow and old dual-P100 for hours under heavy load and i never got a lost
SMP timer interrupt.

-- mingo