Re: ide_set_handler: timer already active

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:54:02 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Mark Lord wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > Just wondering: anyone else on a non-m68k platform who ever saw the message
> >
> > ide_set_handler: timer already active
> >
> > This is related the thing that made my box crash under heavy IDE activity for
> > more than a year, and I just can't believe this bug (_if_ it happens on ia32)
> > was never seen on ia32.
>
> I have *never* seen this message on Intel-Architecture-32bit (ia32).
> And my systems have a *lot* of IDE devices/activity:
>
> 3-5 disks, a cdrom, tape, zip, and PCMCIA ATA cards.. all active simultaneously!

Do you share the interrupts of your IDE interfaces with other devices? I do.

> The message is is only there "temporarily" anyway,
> just to check for bugs seen (but not understood) on other architecture(s).

I see the message several times a day. Each of these would have been a full
crash in the days before I replaced the call to add_timer() by mod_timer().

Strange... Where is the bug????

Greetings,

Geert

--