cdrom lost power caused 2.2.1 lockup

Tuan Hoang (tuan@optimus.mitre.org)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:56:26 -0500 (EST)

Hey,

I think I figured out that possibly my kernel source got corrupted when
my machine suddenly froze and I had to reset it. I couldn't telnet in or
anything. One thing that I suspect is my 12x plextor scsi cdrom
(internal). I noticed that it lost its power led. When I rebooted the
machine hardware looked ok. So I booted with my previous 2.2.1
kernel and grabbed a new source and everything. Now it seems to work fine
but I'm a little leary of my cdrom. We've started to have lots of trouble
with these plextor 12x scsi's for some reason.

So what I'm worried about is if this happens again will future kernels be
able to timeout on accessing a suddenly powered off device because
of hardware failure.

Thanks for replying though.

Tuan