Re: [OFFTOPIC] SPAM from SGI - Greetings! (fwd)

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:52:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Philip Gladstone wrote:

>> It is an insult to me to receive a mass mailing obviously
>> directed towards kernel hackers on the linux-kernel mailing list,
>> and grouped in with everyone like a McDonalds burger statistic.
>
>A quick check of the headers on the two copies that I received
>reveal that linux-kernel was not being used to expand the message.

I figured that they scanned l-k for email addresses, and then
spammed directly. Still SPAM though IMHO. SGI boxes are great
IMHO, and I'm sure that they are probably a good company, however
I did not appreciate the way that they did that.

>by sgi.com
> (980327.SGI.8.8.8-aspam/980304.SGI-aspam: SGI does not
>authorize the use of its proprietary systems
> or networks for unsolicited or bulk email from the Internet.)
>via ESMTP id QAA08010 for
> <@sgi.engr.sgi.com:philip@raptor.com>; Mon, 8 Mar 1999
>16:54:43 -0500 (EST) mail_from
> (stanford@bingo.engr.sgi.com)
>
>This header show that the message was headed for me directly
>from an internal SGI system. My personal guess is that they
>collected the names of all the people who posted to linux-kernel
>and mailed them. They probably merged in the linux CREDITS
>file and then forgot to remove duplicates.

Well, it looks like they picked and chose names from the feedback
I've been getting. Probably looking for non-core developers and
others that are not yet full time kernel coders such as myself.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!