Re: Server locked up with <<Aiee: scheduling in interrupt 00112345>>, whats the reason?

Mark Conway Wirt (mark@intrepid.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:11:31 -0500

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 11:38:04AM +0100, Oliver Joa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a RedHat 5.1 Linux with Kernel 2.0.36 running.
> Linux locked up two times, the first time was about
> 2 month ago and the second one today. On the console
> I got repeatingly the error message:
>
> Aiee: scheduling in interrupt 00112345
>
> What is meant by this error message? And what may
> be the reason.

That's a kernel error message. Something is a bit hosed up in one
of your drivers, or you're having a hardware problem.

The first thing you need to do is to find out what function corresponds
to 00112345. If you don't have a kernel symbol table, you can get this
information from

strings /proc/ksyms | sort | less

Look for the the function that covers 00112345, i.e., a start address
lower than that number, followed by a start address higher than that number.
once you've found the name of the function, you can search though the
kernel source to find out what driver/kernel portion defines that
function.

Once you've found that, you'll either want to swap out hardware or contact
the maintainer of that portion of the kernel. I had something
similar with some of the 3Com ethernet cards, and I found out that
other people were having problems with it also. I got rid of the
3com, replaced it with a tulip-based card, and haven't had the
problem since.

See /usr/src/linux/README for more info.

--Mark