Re: /dev/psaux troubles with 2.2.2

Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Myr=E9en?= (johan.myreen@setec.fi)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:53:59 +0000

"Steven N. Hirsch" wrote:

> The psaux detection code in 2.2.x fails to find a valid device under some
> circumstances. I fought this battle last weekend on an older 486 box with
> PS2 mouse on the motherboard. Haven't had the time to debug the probe so

> + #if 0
> if (!detect_auxiliary_port())
> return -EIO;
> ! #endif

> Please note that this is a rude hack. The maintainer should be made aware
> that it is missing devices on some platforms.

Ok, I guess I am the maintainer. And, yes, I am aware of a few reports
of machines on which the detection does not work. The problem is that
there seem to be a lot of different implementations of the PS/2 mouse
port out there. The old detection code seemed to work ok, but was
removed because the mouse had to be plugged in at boot in order to be
detected. Then, for a few kernel versions, we didn't have any detection
at all, but always assumed the port was present. This had the slight
disadvantage of locking up the keyboard if a nonexistent mouse port was
accessed.

Suggestions? Personally, I'd like to see the old BIOS based code back.

Johan Myréen
jem@iki.fi