Re: 2.2.2 Bug? RPC: sendmsg returned error 101

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:49:59 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On 8 Mar 1999, Trond Myklebust wrote:
>

> > Why are you getting ENETUNREACH? In principle that error should never
> > occur at that point unless you've shut down the network in the middle
> > of an RPC request. Please check your links in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d...
>
> Trond,
>
> I've been plagued with the same messages ever since the early days of
> knfsd, and have played with the system shutdown sequence endlessly in
> search of a solution. It doesn't happen all the time, and seems related
> to something that tries to hold an open file handle to a remote system
> during shutdown. My sysV sequence most certainly does not try to shut
> down the network prior to the nfs client subsystem - these messages are
> triggered _after_ nfs is downed. Something is trying to hang on for dear
> life, I guess..
>
> Steve

FWIW:

As a further data point - I get these whenever I forget that my X is
running and also when I use nohup on an NFS mount as the nohup.out file is
held open. Seems harmless - eventually the RPC times out and life
continues on. But I can still see the NFS session being held open on the
server (Netware NFS) for another few minutes until the server decides I
really am gone.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street