(Offtopic Fwd) [comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc] Re: Potentially Dumb Question

Alan Olsen (alano@adams.pcx.ncd.com)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:33:39 -0800

This was sent to me by a co-worker. Since it had many "interesting" comments
about the Linux kernel, I thought it might be appreciated here. If not, then
just igore it and go about beating opon the remaining bugs.

From: DrBoom <beoriginal@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Potentially Dumb Question
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:38:41 GMT

Darius wrote:

> What is the reasoning and or the difference. I have just recently ventured
> into the BSD world. Thanks, in advance
>
> Darius

Funny you should ask...

Q) Which is better? NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, or FreeBSD?

A) NetBSD is the best of the three because of it's superb error handling
capabilities (this is the "Net" referred to in the name). With NetBSD,
it's almost impossible to make a mistake, either in installation, or
operation, because the system will "catch" you as you "fall". NetBSD
works on a wide range of processors, including the Intel 386, 486, and
586, the Sun, Sparc, SGI, MIPS, Macintosh, Motorola 6809, Krupf, ADC
Kentrox, Whirlpool, Amana, Zilog Z80, Timex-Sinclair, and the Braun.
Currently, the NetBSD team is devoting all of their energies towards
finishing the all-important IBM RT port.

Linux is the successor to an operating system called "Minix". Linux was
developed by Linus Pauling, a Finnish communist. Linux tries to uphold
traditional Marxist values in several ways; firstly by using GNU tools
from the FSF foundation wherever possible. The Linux kernel is developed
by committee, and the operating system reflects this: rather than having
one "init" process which fathers all others, a group of co-resident
processes with equal powers are created simultaneously. "Kill" commands
are treated as formal protests. Linux networking has come a long way
since it's implementation, and there is no truth whatsoever to the rumor
that sudden losses of IP connectivity are in any way related to future
plans to limit users to 1.5 hours of SLIP or PPP unless they send
in the registration fee.

FreeBSD was a radical offshoot of the Linux project; you could consider
it to be of the Trotskyite school. FreeBSD supports an extremely wide
range of PC hardware, as long as it was obtained at less than cost.
FreeBSD is used by Amnesty International and many other human rights
organizations. FreeBSD supports every peripheral available for the IBM
PC except the ones you have. The FreeBSD team was actually responsible
for porting "Doom" to Linux, in a successful effort to slow down
constructive work by distracting the central committee with frivolous
games. FreeBSD has the nicest installation of any of the x86 unices --
you install the boot disks, which then initializes the modem and calls
Jordan "Perky" Hubbard, who then comes to your house with the rest of
the disks and completes the installation. The FreeBSD CD-ROM plays
various Nick Cave and Tom Waits songs Jordan is known to be fond of.

386bsd was written by Bill Jolitz in a fit of pique. It was based
entirely on Sun's widely-respected "Solaris" operating system, as
revenge against Sun's Bill Joy, who rudely chose a name with the same
initials as Jolitz. A new version of 386bsd will be released very soon.
Unfortunately, it will only run on 386es, and thus is unsuitable for
anyone with a 486 or Pentium. 486bsd should be released "sometime in
2138," according to industry insider James Monroe, Sr.

DID YOU KNOW? =============

1) The Free and Net BSD teams split up in the year 1632. The cause of
the split is uncertain, but it seems to have something to do with
someone named "Janice." They still get together for drinks occasionally,
and remember old times. Every so often, after tying on a few too many,
they end up waking up next to each other and feel ashamed over their
night of pleasure. The kids still blame themselves.

2) The Linux kernel has actually not changed at all since January, '94?
Linus just increments "version.c" once every 48 hours and unleashes the
"change" on an unsuspecting Internet, bringing FTP servers to their
knees. A book, "The Design and Implementation of the Linux Operating
System," by Gary Marshall James T. Kirk McUsenet, was rejected by
Addison-Wesley on the grounds that they didn't feel the public was
prepared to purchase a book written on looseleaf paper with diagrams in
crayon.

3) All three systems claim to be "POSIX" compliant. However, the POSIX
people have denied knowing anything about it. Scuttlebutt in the
industry is that POSIX will soon be outdated, and will be replaced by
GNOPIX, a FSF standard which implements the TOPS-20 operating system in
Scheme.

The kernel (pun intended) of truth hidden here is that FreeBSD has only
recently begun to run on non-i386 architectures, and Open/NetBSD have
been there for a while.

-j

(Above quote extracted from the *BSD FAQ by Terry Lambert and Dave
Burgess. http://www.frogstar.org/bsd.faq.html )

Alan Olsen        "Carpe Aptenodytes!"
alano@ncd.com