Re: framebuffer console

Orlando Andico (orly@mozcom.com)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:49:05 +0800 (JST)

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Brian Gerst wrote:

..
> The drawback to using the Vesa BIOS framebuffer is that setting the
> video mode can only be done at boot time, while the processor is still
> in real mode. You need to pass via lilo vga=x, where x is the mode
> number to switch to.
..

That's what I did. Unfortunately the VESA standard modes use refresh rates
that suck (e.g. 800x600 at 56 Hz which is the lowest possible refresh for
800x600 modes). Is the VESA 2.0 BIOS at a fixed offset within the video
ROM space? I have one of those video cards which have a flashable BIOS,
and I was wondering if I could figure out where the mode timings are kept,
edit it with emacs, to get a higher refresh rate.