Re: Parition Slices ( waqs Re: OFFTOPIC: New MBR and partitioning

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 13:49:16 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> That reminds me. Now that Linux supports more and more parition schemes,
> I think it is time to "upgrade" the way linux deals with "sub-paritions".

Already done. See Richard Gooch's work on 'devfs', which adopted a naming
scheme much like you're suggesting, but with quite a bit of user feedback,
and quite a bit more flexibility that the nearest competition (Solaris).

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/kernel-patches.html

Many of us are happily using this system in the real world, mainly because
of it's other benefits (autoconfiguration of /dev, elimination of major
and minor numbers, etc). Quite nice.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

Linux labyrinth 2.2.2-ac7 #1 Sat Mar 6 11:06:57 CST 1999 i586 unknown 1:45pm up 0:08, 2 users, load average: 1.24, 0.59, 0.26