Re: Cyrix cooling (Re: RH5.2 won't install on Cyrix)

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:18:11 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Denis Voitenko wrote:

>Do AMD K6-XX CPUs have the same problem?

No. I have an AMD K6-200 and I've overclocked it to 250. I have
a ball bearing fan with an integrated heatsink. If I get Linux
to really burn with kernel compiles, crashme, and other intensive
stuff, the heatsink only gets slightly warm.

>I think the best way to avoid problems like this is to buy
>generic Intel chips. You get what you pay for, right?

Since when has Intel been known for providing chips that run
cool? They never have to my knowledge. AMD chips are far
superior to Intel's IMHO, both in quality, and in innovation.
Now the market is finally realizing that and everyone going with
AMD. The K7 will be very interesting.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!