Re: Cyrix cooling (Re: RH5.2 won't install on Cyrix)

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:22:57 -0500

Denis Voitenko wrote:

> Do AMD K6-XX CPUs have the same problem? I think the best way to avoid
> problems like this is to buy generic Intel chips. You get what you pay
> for, right?

Every chip requires a different amount of cooling. Use the right
fan/heatsink and you don't have a problem. The original Cyrix 6x86 ran
the hottest until they came out with the 6x86L (split voltage, ala the
P5 MMX). The K6 runs a bit cooler than most Pentium II's. The big
difference is that the PII has alot more surface area to dissipate the
heat with.

--

Brian Gerst