Re: which pci sound card does not have dropouts under load

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:07:11 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Brian Gerst wrote:
> What about CD audio or MIDI? Do you have to rip the CD in realtime to
> play it? [Of course you could just rip it anyways and convert to mp3].

On USB you throw MIDI data at the device as usual just like MPU401. For CD
its different you do have to rip audio. But I thought everyone uses mp3
anyway B)

One rather tasty USB device id like to see on linux is the Roland UA-100.
http://www.edirol.com/music_equipment/usb_audio_products/ua100/ua100order.html

Canopus also makes a USB "DA-PORT" device (sold in japan only) which
claims to be able to realtime encode mp3.
http://www.canopus.co.jp/catalog/daport/daport_index.htm

-Dan