Re: MOSIX and kernel mods.

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:45:59 -0800 (PST)

It's a non issue anyhow if they have gone and changed the module
interface they will now have to spend the time making their patches work
for each and every kernal version or risk being outdated.

That kind of time resource doesn't come cheaply.

I don't see how anyone can see what they have done as an advantage for
themselves cause it sucks to be them. This is that binary module
compatabillity problem that was argued about x2 they now have to worry
about kernel module interface changes AND hope none affact their patch.

OSS still wins you can relax now.

Gerhard

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

> > Linus, if he wants to, could begin closing the loophole, by
> > attaching more restrictive statements about non-free modules to
> > future kernel releases. There are many different ways this could
> > be done, to close the loophole either more or less.
>
> I'm going to ask people in both camps here to _please_ be restrained
> when stepping into this flame^Wthread.
>
> A flame is a kind of personal attack. Those words of mine don't
> attack or even criticize anyone. They are a serious suggestion for
> something that might be useful to do.
>
> I hope that others who respond to my message will deal with
> it constructively and not by flaming.
>
> -

gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.