Re: EXT2_UNRM_FL

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:01:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:34:49 -0800 (PST)
> From: <g@cx888441-a.cv1.sdca.home.com>
>
> I was looking through the ext2 source code, and I found EXE2_UNRM_FL which
> (I think ) will make the file with this flag undeletable (or recoverable).
> Is this thing ever implemented ? or if this flag works, where is the code
> for it? Thanx in advance.
>
> Nope, it's not implemented, and it isn't really a priority to implement
> either, to be honest. There are a number of fairly good user-mode "rm"
It's fairly easy to implement, though. One line in
fs/namei.c::may_delete(), one line in fs/nfsd/vfs.c::nfsd_link(), pair of
#define's in fs.h and one more line in fs/ext2/inode.c::ext2_read_inode().
If somebody wants it I will include it into the next portion of VFS
cleanup that will be submitted to Linus - it obviously doesn't affect
anything else. Final decision belongs to Linus, indeed, but I think that
it's worth doing.