Re: [patch] PIII/Katmai & FXSAVE support, disable serial-#, 2.2.2

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:46:37 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Jim Freeman wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 09:54:37PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > - disables PIII serial# on all CPUs (Doug Ledford)
> > [we might make this configurable in the future for Wine
> > compatibility]
>
> Serve up the serial# from the entropy pool :-)

Presumably they have some sort of check code built in. Best to just force
it off and tell people to forget they ever heard of it. As long as PIII's
with serial numbers enabled don't become a significant fraction of the
entire x86 market, having access to it won't matter.