Re: (U)DMA issues - another for the blacklist? (was Re: Maybe Disk Problem.)

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:20:32 -0600 (CST)

I'm semi-back from the FLU..............

You two will need to clue me in some.

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> > I'm not forcing DMA with hdparm and I don't know how to do it, but as
> > you said here
> > I indeed found option in 2.2.1 to turn off DMA ( but not UDMA ; What

UDMA is a superset of DMA, and if you turn off DMA so goes UDMA.
Note the converse does not happen.

> > mode
> > is it working
> > now anyway :)) I turned it off, compiled the kernel 80 times with no
> > problems.

Recompile with the CONFIG_AUTODMA option disabled.
Next, turn on DMA/UDMA support in the BIOS.
Then boot new kernel.

Get hdparm-3.5 plus hdparm-3.5f.patch from URL at bottom.
patch -p0 < hdparm-3.5f.patch inside hdparm-3.5/ directory.

> > My configuration is:
> > P2 266 + 64MB + 5.1 Quantum
> > Motherboard: SP-P2LXC ( i don't have the company name).

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL EL5.1A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: SAMSUNG SHD-3212A (APOLLO-4) AD, ATA DISK drive
hdd: ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 32X MAXIMUM, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL EL5.1A, 4892MB w/418kB Cache, CHS=623/255/63
hdc: SAMSUNG SHD-3212A (APOLLO-4) AD, 407MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=1002/16/52
hdd: ATAPI 27X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache

> Umm, if (U)DMA is broken for your particular drive/motherboard combination,

Now do you get UDMA or (U)DMA, there is a difference.
The latter states that the BIOS failed to be enabled or setup UDMA support
correctly, and the former is obvious that everthing is fine.

> you're basically stuck. You can try winging at the manufacturers or retailers,
> but I don't know how far that'll get you. But not having DMA shouldn't make
> your system unusably slow, anyway?

No, unless you are doing heavy disk IO; however, program start times will
be longer.

The Quantum SE, ST, EL, and EX series are all fully compliant with Linux
and UDMA, provide the mainboard or host adapter is okay.

> > Model=QUANTUM FIREBALL EL5.1A, FwRev=A08.1100, SerialNo=34581671

I need more info, but do it off the list for now.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy -- http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/