Re: [Real fix] Re: Kernel panic: can't push onto full stack

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:47:56 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> >Darn. Screw #4 - it doesn't solve anything. Add #5: block on close()
> >(maybe make it an setsockopt()-controllable). BTW, from my reading of
>
> The attakker can run setsockopt ;).
>
> Blocking on close looks messy to me. Application suppose that close()
> doesn't block indefinetely. If we want to sleep in a usually-not-sleeping
Erm? Look at the behaviour in case of AF_INET. If you assume that
close doesn't sleep indefinitely your program is broken. Yup, in case of
AF_UNIX - somebody had sent you a descriptor of opened and later unlinked
file, closed it on his side and when you close the socket GC will involve
removal of the inode. That may take *long*.