(U)DMA issues - another for the blacklist? (was Re: Maybe Disk Problem.)

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:39:36 +0000

Anyone else want to comment here? Alan, you've been known to express an
interest in (U)DMA problems before, haven't you?

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 09:13:26PM +0200, Pavel Ravits wrote:

> Please answer,

Oh, okay then, if you insist :)

> I'm not forcing DMA with hdparm and I don't know how to do it, but as
> you said here
> I indeed found option in 2.2.1 to turn off DMA ( but not UDMA ; What
> mode
> is it working
> now anyway :)) I turned it off, compiled the kernel 80 times with no
> problems.

So your problem's solved then :) Now all we have to do is figure out if it's
the motherboard or the drive.. do you have another machine with a different
motherboard you could stick the drive in?

> My configuration is:
> P2 266 + 64MB + 5.1 Quantum
> Motherboard: SP-P2LXC ( i don't have the company name).

Hmm, what does the kernel say about your IDE controller on startup? How
about /proc/pci? (cat /proc/pci | grep IDE)

> As I thinking now It may be problem with the Motherboard controller,
> so I don't know what to do, help please I can't goon with speed anymore,
> (and the `funny` thing I suspect in not a hardware problem.)

Umm, if (U)DMA is broken for your particular drive/motherboard combination,
you're basically stuck. You can try winging at the manufacturers or retailers,
but I don't know how far that'll get you. But not having DMA shouldn't make
your system unusably slow, anyway?

> Model=QUANTUM FIREBALL EL5.1A, FwRev=A08.1100, SerialNo=34581671

S.

--
"Apathy is not the problem, it's the solution"