Re: 2.2.2 network freezing

Jason L Tibbitts III (tibbs@math.uh.edu)
01 Mar 1999 22:35:59 -0600

JZ> Yes. If I can't ping it from afar, I can telnet to the .35 kernel and
JZ> ping both of the 2.2.2 computers just fine. It doesn't begin to answer
JZ> a ping unless I do something that starts two-way communications (like
JZ> start a telnet from the .35 box).

FWIW, I have essentially the same problem. 2.0.36 (from stock Mandrake 5.2
install) and 3c509 Ethernet (the card has all three transceivers, but is
hooked up via 10baseT) on some old P133.

The machine simply doesn't respond to any network traffic until it
initiates some. After that it responds, but the connection is really
sketchy. A ping out from the box shows lots of dropped packets, lots of
dups (!) and on about every other reboot the round trip time will be on the
order of 65000000 seconds. (I may have added a zero there; it's tough to
get the actual text off of the box because the network is so spotty.)

I was going to just write this off as a flaky card and get a new one until
I saw this thread. Now I'm not so sure it's the card. (I know it's not
the cable and I've moved it to various parts of my network (on a switch or
on a hub with various machined) but nothing works. It doesn't matter what
machines I try to talk from (SunOS, Solaris, Linux, IRIX, AIX) the machine
just doesn't respond until it talks first _regardless of what's in the arp
caches of the machines pinging it_.

The machine does have sound, although I see no IRQ problems. Still, I'm
going to try tomorrow to go to a minimal system and see if anything
improves. I'll be happy to supply additional info if it would be useful.

- J<