Re: [ANN] new mailing list

Anthony DeBoer (adb@onramp.ca)
23 Feb 1999 18:30:50 -0000

Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk> writes:
> You could do something really wacky like:
> Make it impossible to post to linux-kernel directly; people have to post
> to the 'sub-lists', then all messages to the sub lists are combined and sent
> to linux-kernel subscribers. [snip]

Another route would be to append the current kernel version to the list
submission address; people would have to write to linux-kernel-2.2.2 or
linux-kernel-2.0.36 (unless either have changed while I'm writing this!)
in order to post. People writing to eg. linux-kernel-2.2.0 would get an
autoreply telling them from whence to download more current sources, and
to write back if what they were saying still applied to the most current
kernel. This could virtually stop bug reports on stale versions.

Possibly, depending on interests, people could subscribe separately to
2.0, 2.2, and 2.3 lists; the 2.3.0 list could already be opened, for
future-direction discussions.

--
Anthony DeBoer <adb@onramp.ca>