Re: AMD K6-2/400 and FIC VA-503+BM with Linux 2.0.36

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 01:26:09 +0100 (MET)

John Fulmer wrote:
> Now everything works normally. My guess is that the labels
> created small hot spots in critical areas of the CPU. The rest of
> the CPU would stay very cool, but just a few hot spots would
> exist. Probably the combination of the transfer grease and
> removing the labels eliminated the hot spots and everyting works
> very well.

Ehmm!

If you have a processor, it has a VERY flat top side.
The heatsink/fan has a VERY flat bottom side.

These should align perfectly, because that allows the heat to be
transferred from CPU to heatsink.

If you lift the heatsink about 100 micron (the thickness of paper) you
will have a neat 0 to 100 micron ramp of air between the heatsink and
the CPU. Air is a very good insulator, you have effectively
blocked most of the heat transfer from the CPU to the fan.

Yes, I've seen this before too: A client brought in a machine for me
to install Linux on, and so I did. But while examinign the machine, I
found this "warranty void if removed" sticker below the fan.

I promised him that at the first hint of trouble he'd get his machine
back. Didn't get any hints of trouble that time though.

Roger.

*   Never blow in a cat's ear because if you do, usually after three or  *
*   four times, they will bite your lips!  And they don't let go for at  *
*   least a minute. -- Lisa Coburn, age 9