Re: AMD K6-2/400 and FIC VA-503+BM with Linux 2.0.36

Pat St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:21:30 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, John Fulmer wrote:
>KOEHLEKR@UCRWCU.RWC.UC.EDU wrote:
>> - random seg faults and parsing errors during kernel build
>> - random silent deaths, illops and seg faults in wmclock
>> (always same address when a core file is generated:
>> illop = 80493c2, seg fault = 80493c8)
>> - subtle variation in bogomips from one reboot to the next
>> (always 799.54 or 801.18)
>> - emacs under X seg faults after above problems appear
>> (always same address - 401e4811)
>> - hard system hangs (must reset)
>>

>I am having similar problems with some K6-2/350 and VA-503+ MB's
>design. Exact same symtoms, and if I move to the next lower
>speed, it works fine. Replaced processors, same problem. So it is
>either a widespread problem with the K6's quality control, or the
>VA-503+'s. Most people blame the memory, but I've tried enough
>different pieces of memory to know better, by this time.

I know I'm quoting a lot here for such a small followup, but I'm trying to
keep it straight.

Yall seem to be missing one thing in all of this: cooling.

Do you have one of the AMD recommended heat sink / fan combos on it and is
it attached with thermal transfer paste? If not, please try that. This
sounds like it COULD be overheating.

Pat

--
Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj@cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115