Re: Linking a module driver via mount through the VFS layer

Bjorn Ekwall (bj0rn@blox.se)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:45:16 +0100 (CET)

Alex Buell wrote:
> I wonder if anyone knows how this is done? I noticed that using mount -t
> with a VFS driver automatically loads the appropriate module/driver within
> the kernel, for example, on my system the modules msdos.o, fat.o are
> automatically loaded when I type in mount -t msdos /floppy.

Look in linux/kernel/super.c for "request_module".
If someone refers to an unknown filesystem type, a request for a module
with that name will be done. Note that you might have to include an
alias in /etc/conf.modules in order to map the name of the filesystem
to the corresponding module name.

So, if you refer to a new filesystem type, and if you have the module,
it will be autoloaded without any kernel changes.

Björn Ekwall <bj0rn@blox.se>