Re: 2.2.1 sound problems

Zygo Blaxell (uixjjji1@umail.furryterror.org)
22 Feb 1999 10:38:25 -0500

In article <36CDAAF9.A624C0E6@jhuapl.edu>,
Skip Collins <collibf1@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>This is my first message to the kernel list, so if my problem doesn't
>belong here, just tell me and I'll drag my sorry little ass somewhere
>else. Please cc any replies to me personally, as I am not subscribed to
>the list.
>
>My problem has been reported before. When playing sounds I get the error
>Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>
>I am using a Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop with a Crystal CS4237B sound
>controller. I have installed RedHat 5.2 and kernels 2.2.1 and
>2.2.1-ac[4,5,6]. I compiled with glibc 2.0.110 and gcc 2.8.1. I have
>seen reports of this error occuring with other sound drivers. My
>conf.modules file is simply:

I have a Huston Jumperless PCI motherboard on a non-laptop (it's a
70-pound tower case, about as far from a laptop you can get and still
have the machine fit under a desk ;-) with a SoundBlaster 16 (OEM) card.
Kernel 2.2.0-pre6 (but this has happened on all of the 2.1.x series since
112 or so), Red Hat 5.2 for everything else. I get the IRQ/DRQ config
error when recording audio (this machine almost never plays audio,
it is an FM radio to ethernet converter 24 hours a day).

Usually there are 3 error messages at a time when the problem occurs.
The errors occurred in 164 of the last 720 hours (I'd have to go home and
muck around with CD-R's to get data from before then). They usually occur
at specific times past the start of the hour, which suggests that there
is some kind of interaction with something else running on the machine.
However, the relative offset into each hour when the error occurs is
drifting by 10 seconds per day or so.

As far as I know another Soundblaster16 is working just fine with the same
kernel revisions, and this SB16 also worked before the motherboard was
installed. I've never tested the soundcard/motherboard combination with
2.0.36, but I know the soundcard worked in another motherboard with 2.0.xx
for years.

I currently work around this by hacking up 'srec' to close and re-open the
device if it gets a sound I/O error.

/etc/conf.modules contains:
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

rpm -q glibc gcc binutils says:
glibc-2.0.7-29
gcc-2.7.2.3-14
binutils-2.9.1.0.15-1

/proc/pci:
PCI devices found:
Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
Host bridge: Intel 82439TX (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Master Capable. Latency=32.
Bus 0, device 7, function 0:
ISA bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. Master Capable. No bursts.
Bus 0, device 7, function 1:
IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. Master Capable. Latency=32.
I/O at 0xffa0 [0xffa1].
Bus 0, device 7, function 2:
USB Controller: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9. Master Capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xc000 [0xc001].
Bus 0, device 7, function 3:
Bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable.
Bus 0, device 8, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: ATI 210888GX (rev 1).
Medium devsel.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff000000 [0xff000000].
Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
SCSI storage controller: NCR 53c810 (rev 17).
Medium devsel. IRQ 11. Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=64.
I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffeef800 [0xffeef800].
Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
Ethernet controller: DEC DC21040 (rev 35).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 12. Master Capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffeef000 [0xffeef000].
Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 0).
Slow devsel. IRQ 9. Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].

/proc/modules:
softdog 912 1 (autoclean)
es1370 24592 0
sb 28356 1
uart401 5700 1 [sb]
ip_masq_quake 1008 0 (unused)
ip_masq_raudio 2632 0
raid0 1696 1 (autoclean)
smc-ultra 3968 1 (autoclean)
8390 6364 0 (autoclean) [smc-ultra]
tulip 23592 1 (autoclean)
unix 10536 24 (autoclean)
st 23332 0 (unused)
sound 58068 0 [sb uart401]
soundcore 2396 9 [es1370 sb sound]
soundlow 252 0 [sound]

/proc/ioports:
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
0220-022f : soundblaster
0240-025f : SMC EtherEZ
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
c800-c87f : eth0
d000-d03f : es1370
d800-d87f : ncr53c8xx
ffa0-ffa7 : ide0

/proc/interrupts:
CPU0
0: 167889029 XT-PIC timer
1: 8 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
3: 26915040 XT-PIC serial
4: 27045462 XT-PIC serial
5: 13054745 XT-PIC soundblaster
8: 27517 XT-PIC rtc
9: 2424994 XT-PIC es1370
10: 38386151 XT-PIC SMC EtherEZ
11: 7680665 XT-PIC ncr53c8xx
12: 169521138 XT-PIC eth0
13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
15: 3365177 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

/proc/dma:
1: SoundBlaster8
4: cascade

/proc/version:
Linux version 2.2.0-pre6 (zblaxell@washu.furryterror.org) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #2 SMP Thu Jan 14 08:11:02 EST 1999

and finally /proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 2
model name : Pentium 75 - 200
stepping : 12
cpu MHz : 133.637507
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips : 53.25

My working theory is that the motherboard is simply broken. The realtime
clock on this motherboard has drifted out of sync with realtime by
4 hours 30 minutes since the machine was last rebooted 20 days ago,
and I've had enough problems with sound cards and motherboards under
several I386 operating systems to believe that the first thing to go on a
marginal motherboard is the sound card. I bought the thing as temporary
replacement for a good motherboard that emitted smoke, and when the
permanent replacement for the good motherboard showed up a few days later
I put the problem board into this machine where it has been ever since.

--
Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation, zygob@corel.ca (work),
zblaxell@furryterror.org (play).  It's my opinion, I tell you! Mine! All MINE!