Re: NFS fails after 40 minutes of use

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:56:10 -0500

"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> In the following I show that about 40 minutes into an across-the
> network-backup, the remote mount-point becomes inaccessible.
> Both machines are running Linux 2.2.1 The server is running a
> Red Hat 5.2 release. The client is running software accumulated
> over several years (not a vendor release).
>
> Neither the client, nor the server appear to run out of memory.
> There are no entries in the logs of either machines to show the
> problem.
>
> This is 100% repeatable.

I have previously reported a similar problem,
reproduceable with a single machine:

mount localhost:/ /x
dd if=/dev/zero of=/junk bs=1024k count=200
diff junk /x/junk

This often (not always) fails with *differences* on the "diff".
Happens with userland NFS only; not (yet) with knfsd.

The system is a P2-450Mhz with 128MB and *very fast*
raid0 (18-20MByte/sec) disk I/O.

--
mlord@pobox.com