Re: Questions about the new kernel

Myrdraal (myrdraal@jackalz.dyndns.org)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:20:35 -0500

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 07:46:01AM -0500, el mono wrote:
Hi,
> After reading the documentation included in the 2.2.1 kernel release the
> following questions came to my mind:
> [snip]
Sorry, couldn't answer those first two questions off the top of my head.
> 3- Do I still have to start kerneld at startup?. After reading kmod.txt
> i think that
> kerneld is obsolete cause the kernel will not call it anymore so load it
> will be a loss of memory but the Changes file in the modules section says:
>
> As of 2.1.90-pre1, kerneld has been replaced by a kernel thread,
> kmod. See Documentation/kmod.txt for more information. The main
> user-level change this requires is modification to your init scripts to
> check for the absence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe before starting
> kerneld.
>
> So should I start kerneld or not???
That "check /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe" thing is a way of detecting whether
you are on a kernel that uses kmod or not. If you are on 2.1.90 or later,
then you do not need to start kerneld at all. If /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
exists then you are on 2.1.90 or later, and use kmod, so don't start kerneld.
> 4- Every time I start a ppp session modprobe says:
>
> Feb 21 01:28:09 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
> Feb 21 01:28:09 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
> Feb 21 01:28:10 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
Add these lines to your /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules if you use
that. It makes no difference.):
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-1 off # This is Predictor-1, not yet supported

> But i have searched all over the kernel documentation and configuration
> and i can't see anything about this modules all i have seen is the line:
>
> --- CCP compressors for PPP are only built as modules.
>
> After the ppp-support option. How can i get this modules???
That's stuff like slhc and bsd_comp and ppp_deflate. They get built
automagically for you when you enable PPP.
> I hope anybody can help me with this.
I hope that was the information you needed. :)
-Myrdraal
--
Linux jackalz 2.2.1 #53 Thu Jan 28 16:13:24 EST 1999 i586 unknown
8:17am  up 16 days, 10:57,  30 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.30