Re: Sound problems, Scsi CDDA ripping. 2.2+

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 02:15:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Tuomas Heino wrote:
> Now who wants to implement this? as I know nothing about Linux's MM ;)
> (of course the other solution would be modifying the MM to do some more
> aggressive try_to_get_dmable_memory type thingies)
> And this raises a question about Linux's MM: How hard is it for the kernel
> to relocate things in physical memory?

There is already a flag for kmalloc() to try to ensure the memory is
DMA'able. So the other thing that needs to be done is to maintain a
guaranteed dma'able memory cache (tunable by kernel parameter or perhaps
even sysctl)

I can do simple device drivers etc but deep kernel hacking is beyond me
unfortunately.

-Dan