Re: 2.1GB File Size Limit

Tim (sailer@sailer.rhic.bnl.gov)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:11:10 -0500

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 03:12:27PM +0000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 yocum@fnal.gov wrote:
> > (I hear screams of anguish - "Who has files larger than 2GB?!??" We do.
> > Gotta love that high energy physics!)
> >
> > Will 64-bit file system addressing appear only in the kernel for 64-bit
> > chips (SPARC, Alpha, Merced, etc.) or can we expect this sometime in the
> > future for the "lowly" i386 machines?
>
> It's already there (and working very nicely) for Alpha and Sparc64.
>
> Of course, by the time you need to process >2Gb of data, traditional i386
> won't really cut it anyway. (Do SGI have plans to release the VW without
> all the expensive graphical stuff? Quite a few people could benefit from
> the extra memory/bus bandwidth without having to pay for all the 3D/video
> stuff.)

"By the time"? Hmm.. here at BNL, we have been doing it for quite some time.
Our friends at Fermi have been doing it also. Our RHIC project is going
'live' in November, but we have been running our Linux Compute Farm for
almost a year, moving 2GB files around and processing them. Each machine
on our farm is at least a dual processor, so each machine will have 2
2GB files going at 1 time. Larger files would help us tremendously.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
               The complete lack of evidence is the surest