Re: 2.0.36 GPF and their cause

Jeff Epler (jepler@inetnebr.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:52:15 -0600

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 09:26:03AM -0500, Peter Green wrote:
> I've been seeing a number of GPF on one machine with 2.0.36 kernels and
> I'm wondering about why they're happening. Is a GPF always attributable to
> a programming error? Or could there be a hardware error going on?

2.0.x kernels are known to miscompile with most or all versions of egcs,
including pgcc. Use gcc 2.7.2.whatever when compiling the kernel.

2.2.x is supposed to compile under egcs, as I understand it, but I would
probably still distrust pgcc.

Jeff

--
\/ http://www.slashdot.org/                      Jeff Epler jepler@inetnebr.com
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.