Re: 2.2.1 mkfs.ext2 out of memory

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 01:56:59 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> > Writing inode tabels: 1969/3254
> > Out of Memory for mkfs.ext2
> > Killed
>
> I've seen this problem few times when there are not enough REAL memory:
> 8MiB RAM/540MiB HDD, 16MiB RAM/1GiB HDD, 64MiB RAM/10GiB HDD, etc.
> In ALL kernel types: 1.0.x (yes, it happened for me back with 1.0.9 kernel
> and appropriate Slackware release :-) 1.2.x and 1.3.x, 2.0.x and 2.2.x...
>
> Since it happended for you on full blown system you could try to
> trace it. May be Alan could help you and this FIVE YEAR OLD BUG
> (AT LEAST FIVE YEAR OLD!) will be fixed ?

The solution is 'throttling at the source' for disk
writing stuff. Unfortunately, this is something Linus
is firmly opposing, even though half of the Linux-MM
crew is in favor :(
[If you're very interested, feel free to look
it up in the Linux-MM archives]

I guess we should code up something and sneak it by
Linus when he's looking the other way :)

cheers,

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?