Re: Ejecting a mounted CD-ROM works :-(

Raphael Becker (beckerra@rumms.uni-mannheim.de)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:08:12 +0100

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> > What should be fixed, "cdrecord" or something in the kernel?
>
> The physical device was busy... It should not be allowed to eject.
> The kernel should have blocked it...

The physical device was spinned down by cdrecord just before ejecting
(same like pressing the eject-button under windows --> bluescreen if
access to the drive.
I think this is a problem of allowing "general SCSI-Device" you must
have for scanners, recorders and so on ... it lets the software do the
hardware-things,
cdrecord seems to have more rights than the kernel, kernel doesnīt
notice that the cd is ejected, he will notice that on next access.

I donīt know too much about kernel-lolevel related things. While in
kernel-setup I thought only my cd-recorder can be accessed by general
scsi device/interface.

I think this option has to be built in so the kernel only lets
cdrecord access the logical scsi-device 0,6,0 (my recorder). What
would happen if I access 0,0,0 (== my Harddisk) via cdrecord?

I donīt have a scanner but i think the software will work like this,
it has full access to the scsi-scanner device (or is a scanner
accessed via logical kernel-device?)

Can someone give me a hint if this what I think is right?

Greetings
Raphael Becker