Re: Hot Swappable Cards Insertion and Removal Detection.

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:44:13 -0800

G Jalaja Devi wrote:

> How LINUX notifies the device driver when it detects a recently plugged
> in PCI card?

I don't know if there is any PCI hot-swapping stuff in the kernel; I
suspect not however. I have successfully hot-swapped ISA network/sound
boards before, but hot-swapping hardware that does not explicitly
support it (eg RAID arrays) is a Bad Thing(tm). If you feel like it
though, make sure all the kernel drivers for your devive(s) are compiled
as modules. Remove the drivers, for eg a NE2000 with ``ifconfig ethN
down ; rmmod ne ; rmmod 8390''. You may now remove the card without the
kernel complaining about the hardware it was using disappearing for no
reason - a very _bad_ thing.