[OFFTOPIC] Re: I found a misspelled word on your website...

Bob McElrath (mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:32:21 -0600 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Matt Busigin wrote:

> #wonder if it's not a troll,i received the exact same e-mail on the berlin
> #list,as indicated in the second paragraph,i suspect he's both obsessive and
> #the developpers of that particular apps (want to get some pub),i think
> #there's better way to advertise a software.
>
> Its an obvious bot. It probably recursively searches webpages and finds
> fairly close spelling errors, and most likely with some sort of percentage
> chance, finds an email address on the page, and mails a randomly picked
> message like the above.
>
> Some of these sad gimps...

Hey now, I think that's a pretty damn good idea. I've been seriously
thinking about writing a bot to detect MS's evil htmlisms (" that appear as
? in netscape, and others), people who use <font size="1"> tags (which is
totally unreadable on my screen), and the like...

-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison