Re: big-server question

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:26:52 +0300 (MSK)

In <99021722113000.03193@fenchel> Bernd Broermann (info@broermann.com) wrote:
> Hi,
> There are more and more Linux servers in business enviroments.
> I want to know something about the upper limits of the kernel.

> How much RAM can be accessed by the 2.2 kernel ?

960MiB out of box, 1984MiB with patch on ia32. More on SPARC & Alpha.

> What are the upper limits of the ext2fs can access ?

4TiB with 1KiB blocks (default), 16TiB with 4KiB blocks, 32TiB with 8KiB blocks
(not on ia32 -- need 8KiB pages; Alpha for example).

> How are the user processes managed ?

??? What you mean ?

> Is there a limit of accessible memory for each userd id ?

USER id ??? No. PID -- yes, 3GiB with 960MiB limit, 2GiB with 1984MiB limit.

> Is there a limit of open files for a user id ?

1024, more with Cox's patch.

> At least:
> How can I manipulate kernel parameters ?

Some (memory limit, for example) -- with changes in kernel sources only;
some -- via /proc ...