Re: fsync on large files

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:09:39 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It's basically the same as for hardlinked files: index by <inode:filename>
> rather than by <dentry:filename>, and move the child list into the inode.
> We already have the inode, and we already disallow having children of
> negative dentries, so we have all the rules in place.

Duh, I've made the very same mistake several times before: the above does
get rid of aliases, but it's too brute force (it doesn't allow the aliases
in the first place - and we _do_ want to have the aliases in order to get
the ".." thing correct).

I had a solution for this, and it also handled the vfat alias where you
have multiple names for the same path for non-hardlinked-directory-related
issues (which was why I was thinking of it at first). It just wasn't the
above.

I hope it wasn't a case of me just _thinking_ I had a solution for it.
I'll go sleep, I'm batting a zero average right now.

Linus "no space in the margins" Torvalds