Re: TEAC CD-R55S =?iso-8859-1?Q?doesn=B4t?= work

Raphael Becker (beckerra@rumms.uni-mannheim.de)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:34:49 +0100

Alan Olsen wrote:

> > What I tried: I tried to burn an image, I built with xcdroast -->
> > Master (but I think that makes no sense). After some output (see
> > attached cdrecord-error.txt.gz) I get this error:
> >
> > [...]
> > Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer
> > ready.
> > Judging disk...done.
> > Calibrating laser...done.
> > cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
>
> I have the same model of cdr and it is working fine for me with XCD-Roast.
> (Under 2.0.36 and 2.2.1.)
>
> I seriously doubt if it is a kernel issue.
>
> A couple of recomendations:
>
> First, get the zip drive out of the scsi chain. The zip scsi drives I have
> seen are 25 pin and cause all sorts of havok on the scsi chain. You may have
> some sort of odd cabling issue.

But all other thing are runnig ok, the SCSI-BUS provides enoungh
bandwidth for having 7.5 mb/sec raw Data copy, thats more than enough
for a writer, or not?
However, I will unplug my ZIP (itīs an internal and has a normal
fast/U-SCSI-Connector 50 pin, you know that?)

> Second, what version of the kernel are you using? Hard to debug without
> knowing what you are even using.

Have a look on my SIG ... Iīm using 2.2.1 without any patches.

> Third, why did you not set the vendor specific extensions? It might be
> expecting them for that card.

Two reasons: my english is too bad or i really donīt know about what
you are talking here, sorry.

> Fourth, what scsi-ids are you using? ("SCSI is voodoo -- you have to know
> where to stick the pins.")

I added all the /proc/scsi-Files to my last mail ... there you will
find more you want to know. I donīt know them now ... HDD=0, CDROM=2,
ZIP=5 TEAC=other Adaptec=7
Donīt forget, the Recorder is running very good as a CD-ROM, it cannot
be a SCSI-Id-Problem or something like that, my Adaptec shows all IDs
like i jumpered the devices before fitting into my BOX.

> This should probably be handled off-list. I am willing to help out, but I need
> more info.

All Infos i have are attached to my last mail als txt.gz-Files. What
else do you need, I really donīt know that.

> > My Kernel Setup is like that:
> >
> > <*> SCSI disk support
> > < > SCSI tape support
> > <*> SCSI CD-ROM support
> > [ ] Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)
>
> Why is this not set?

donīt know, maybe because of the Help for that item:

"This enables the usage of vendor specific SCSI commands. This is
required to support multisession CDs with old NEC/TOSHIBA cdrom
drives (and HP Writers). If you have such a drive and get the first
session only, try saying Y here; everybody else says N."

For me it says: "Do you have one of theese things? No? Ok, let it
untouched/disabled!"

> Alan Olsen "Carpe Aptenodytes!"
> alano@ncd.com

Raphael Becker