Re: fsync on large files

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:41:06 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 10:23:29AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Umm.. We _never_ use "." and ".." in filesystems. Never.
>
> Surely ".." is of some value (perhaps not now, but maybe in the
> future) to e2fsck is the disk gets corrupted?

Not really. You can use it as an extra sanity-check (and as far as I know
fsck does), but that's true of just about any redundant information - that
doesn't necessarily make it actually useful. It's less so if you journal
your metadata anyway.

So yes, you can use ".." to check that both the parent and the child agree
about each other, but even if they don't there's not all that much you can
do with the information.

Linus