Re: fsync on large files

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:41:14 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I've also destroyed maxtors with synchronous syslog. I dont think any
> > drive is up to the task of 50 writes/sec on the same spot on the disk 24/7
> > for weeks on end.
> According to the vendors own claims it is. From my own experience the
> ibm drives seem to take it fine, and worse.

Write a program which sync writes to the same spot 50 times/sec 24/7 and
get back to me in two months or so if your ibm drive is still alive.

Thats 129,600,000 writes to the same sector on the disk each month.

> Find a drive maker who cross ships faulty drives and send them one every
> two weeks until they fix it

Unfortunately they all (seagate, maxtor, etc) expect you to pay for
shipping so it could end up being a rather expensive experiment. Besides
the fact they die after 2 months not 2 weeks it could also be a very long
experiment.

-Dan