Re: fsync on large files

Steven Roberts (strobert@ata-sd.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:48:12 -0800

Kai Henningsen wrote:
> goemon@sasami.anime.net (Dan Hollis) wrote:
> > I have *destroyed* seagate scsi drives by syslog's fsync'ing too much.
> > (A syslog server handling 50 syslog lines/sec on average)
> >
> > After 2 destroyed drives in 2 months, one learns rather quickly to turn
> > off fsync action.
>
> I should think what one learns is to avoid Seagate drives.

agreed... I once had the misforntune of moving data from a maxtor drive
that sounded
like it was going to die to a seagate barracuda. within a week the
seagate drive blew itself up (mostly idle machine even)... it of course
had to coincide with my tape drive going bad so no backups... though it
is good learning experience on the internals of ext2 doing a manually
undelete of 100's of MB's :) -- and of course maxtor is still working
great in my linux box that acts as my internet gateway (the drive has
been in 24/7 use since '93 or so when I first installed linux 0.99pl11)

there was a period of about two years were the only brand of drives that
failed for me, the various companies I worked for and all my friends
were seagates -- our quantums and especially IBM's were OTOH rock
solid).

Steve