Re: RFD: nanoseconds in the kernel, POSIX.4, cleanups

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:15:25 +0100

On 16 Feb 99, at 13:42, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>
> > Is anybody interested in helping me or testing this very experimental
> > stuff soon? (Together with other changes made for the NTPv4 clock
> > model, binary compatibility with old executables had to be broken:
> > especially adjtime() and ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT occupy a different bit
> > position now, causing the old adjtime() to be a no-op. I took the
> > chance to cleanup the whole mess.)
>
> Are you sure this is really necessary? Isn't this something glibc could
> hide?

Specifically "ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT" does no longer exist. It's
"ADJ_ADJTIME" now, because it really does an adjtime(). Of course
glibc can hide it. The reason for the change is: The old bitmask had
two bits set while the new one only has a single bit. This allows a
different test. If you don't look at the code closely, you might
break something. When the old name is gone, you'll have too look at
the places where it was used.

Regards,
Ulrich