Re: Q: void* vs. unsigned long (fwd)

David Luyer (luyer@ucs.uwa.edu.au)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:56:22 +0800

Alan Shutko wrote:

> F> That's not exactly the definitions I've learnt:
>
> F> It should be assumed that:
> [...]
> F> long *is* 32 bits
>
> Digital Unix on Alpha, and I think Alpha Linux as well (sorry, work
> machine), long is 32.

Digital Unix on Alpha has a 64-bit long. I'm assuming '32' above is
a typo, the rest of your post seemed right.

Although, if you look at the old SPEC benchmarks for Alphas, you'll find
a 4 line long list of compiler options, among them options to use 32 bit
longs and pointers. While the Alpha is a 64-bit machine, it must have
benchmarked better as 32-bit initially.

David.