Re: Q: void* vs. unsigned long

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
16 Feb 1999 19:12:43 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.36C900C8.EB3C534F@quark.vpplus.com>,
Brian Gerst <bgerst@quark.vpplus.com> wrote:
>H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Actually, it will. sizeof(unsigned long) == sizeof(void *) == 8 on
>> 64-bit architectures.
>
>I thought it was int that changed with the word size of the
>architecture, not long. Most C books I've seen said long is always 32
>bits regardless of the word size.

They're wrong. The only constraint on the size of long (and I may
be making this up) is that sizeof(short) <= sizeof(int) <= sizeof(long)
(presumably the proprietary-but-about-to-be-standard long long will
have the constraint of sizeof(long) <= sizeof(long long), but here I
AM making things up.)

____
david parsons \bi/ sizeof long == 32 bits? Oh, my, those authors are
\/ going to have an expensive portability lesson.