Re: Problem while starting binary...-No such file or directory

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:33:00 -0800 (PST)

There was a problem with netscape 4.5 when it came out where they had a
glibc binary labled as libc5, try downloading it again to mahe sure you
have the correct version for your system.

David Lang

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:03:14 -0500 (EST)
> From: Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com>
> To: Michael Mess <michael@kawo2.rwth-aachen.de>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: Problem while starting binary...-No such file or directory
>
> On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Michael Mess wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > When I try to start the netscape-binary (netscape 4.5) I only get the
> > message "No such file or directory".
> > Is this a (known) kernel bug?
> > It seems that strace cannot exec the file at all. But it doesn't seem to
> > be a problem of the PATH environement.
> > But why does it say "No such file or directory"?
> >

> Your Netscape was either linked against a library you don't have, is
> an a.out binary with no "a.out" support in the kernel, or is an ELF
> executable with no "ELF" support in the kernel. Strace can start because
> the executable can't start. Such problems with copying executables
> between machines can be fixed by linking it --static on the machine
> you copied it from, then copying it.
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
> ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
> Penguin : Linux version 2.2.1 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
> Warning : It's hard to remain at the trailing edge of technology.
> Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.
>

> -

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)