OFFTOPIC: Re: PROBLEM: english language

Magnus Johansson (d96mjo@csd.uu.se)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:16:49 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Brendan Cully wrote:

> "sic" doesn't stand for "spelling is correct", or even "stated in
> context" (yech!).
>
> In fact, it stands for "yes, I know it looks funny, but that's how I want
> it". But people got tired of typing Y,IKILF,BTHIWI so they abbreviated
> it to SIC. Then they got tired of pressing caps lock or shift, as is
> common on the internet (i see it all the time), and started writing it
> as "sic".
>
> Someone said it was Latin for "thus" or "so", but that's just plain
> outlandish - anyone who knew Latin could probably take some time to
> learn to spell too.

sic (sik, sek) adv. Thus; so. Used in written texts to indicate that a
surprising quotation is not a mistake and is to be read as it stands.
[Latin sic.]
*Definition taken from The American Heritage Dictionary of the
English Language (1970)

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~everett/sic.html

/Magnus
majo0625@student.uu.se