Re: Writing a Linux Device Driver

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 03:35:28 -0500

G Jalaja Devi wrote:

> We are into development of a device driver in linux. The requirement is
> the driver should support Plug and Play. I need documents in this regard.
> I tried downloading from ftp.redhat.com, but the server is not responding.
> Please send me some documents in this regard.

[psst, next time send a subject.. linux-kernel gets several hundred
messages a day :)]

First off, the Linux kernel can be obtained at one of the many mirrors
around the world by looking at http://www.kernel.org/mirrors/. Of
course, in order to test anything you will need a copy of linux
(www.redhat.com, www.debian.org, www.caldera.com, www.slackware.com,
etc). You can take an existing Linux device driver (linux/drivers/*) and
see how it's done, it's fairly straight forward.

If you are not the hack and slash type of programmer, there are a few
books available on the Linux kernel worth mentioning, Linux Device
Drivers has very good reviews ISBN: 1565922921.

Online documentation including howtos, whitepapers, drafts, specs,
notes, dooddles, etc can be found at http://www.linux.org/help/.

And of course, if you really need help with a specific area, in the
linux kernel there is a MAINTAINERs file containing the mailing list of
every single peice of the kernel. Or you can just bug Linus and Alan,
they love email.. don't you guys? :)

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com