Re: ifconfig eth0:0 down removes all virtual interfaces [CONFIRMED 2.2.1]

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:09:33 +0200 (EET)

Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com> wrote:
> Confirmed. I've forwarded this to the networking maintainers.

Actually this has nothing to do with the suffix after
the colon in 'ifconfig eth0:Z', in fact I used alphabets..

If I down the *first* of the alias interfaces, then all
of the *aliases* go down, but if I down any of the latter
aliases, just that alias goes away:

("first" as the first that has been created.)

ifconfig eth0:D 10.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0:C 10.0.0.2
ifconfig eth0:B 10.0.0.3
ifconfig eth0:A 10.0.0.4

ifconfig eth0:B down
ifconfig eth0:A -> ok
ifconfig eth0:C -> ok
ifconfig eth0:D down
ifconfig eth0:A -> out!

Now the question is, why net/ipv4/devinet.c: inet_del_ifa() works
quite this way ? ANK, DaveM ?