Re: New snapshot of modutils

Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:29:32 -0700 (MST)

Bjoern Ekwall wrote:

> Please note that the depmod and modprobe utilities are back to C++.
> This is a result of a discussion in linux-kernel last week, and
> this is the way it has to be, in consideration of all involved.

What??? Can somebody qoute a line or two from the last week
discussions which would touch the language topic at all. I cannot
recall any. This would cause a massive breakage. Can you spell
"a boot floppy"? Apparently not. Talking about "a result of a
discussion" and "in consideration of all involved" sounds to me
really disingenuous.

Also on small systems this would mean a choice between a monolithic
kernel, statically linked modutils (memory footprint) or non-optional
now C++ shared libraries (significant memory footprint as well).
This may be significant or at least PITA. Big sigh!

Sounds like a call for a new modutils maintainer was not without
a merit. Maybe a "sane modutils" branch should be forked?
After all the current modutils are written in C and switching the
language and ironing out bugs from programs and/or libraries on
all platforms will take some time.

Michal