Re: Custom Linux Distro

jens@pinguin.conetix.de
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:06:40 +0100

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 09:48:07PM -0800, Jeff Knox wrote:

> I have been contemplating making a custom linux install of my
> machine for a long time. I find that all linux distrobutions come with
> too much crap that waste hd space, and I like to know exactly what is on
> my machine. So may question is What does the Linux kernel require to
> boot? Are does a very basic base distrobution need? What should I
> include to start with? I figure I will look at some of the floppy linux
> distros and see what they use for a start. Any help would be
> appreciated, thanks.

the absolute minimum is

- a boot loader (LOADLIN.EXE if you have a DOS handy, LILO else)
- a binary that can install LILO if necessary
- the kernel itself
- a shell that integrates most of the standard commands, like kiss
(ls, cp, mv, rm, etc. are all in the shell - no other bins needed)

Thats it. start Linux with the loader and kernel parameter "init=/bin/kiss"
(or wherever you have the shell) and there you are. Single machine, single
console, single shell, single everything (well, almost.)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de
    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup