Re: New snapshot of modutils

Thierry Danis (danis@mail.dotcom.fr)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:57:04 +0100

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 09:33:24AM +1100, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Bjorn Ekwall writes:
> > Please note that the depmod and modprobe utilities are back to C++.
> > This is a result of a discussion in linux-kernel last week, and
> > this is the way it has to be, in consideration of all involved.
>
> Arghh! Please, no! It was a disaster the last that happened. I saw at
> least some of the discussion you referred to, but I didn't see a
> consensus of why C++ was needed. We've been using C-based modutils for
> years now. What is so broken that it requires C++?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....

I fully agree : last time a package has been rewritten in C++,
it took monthes (if not more) to make it work the same way
it did before.

If you choose to do it anyway, consider the following points :
o will the package be easier to debug by others than with
C. At which cost for you ?
o is C++ a viable solution in the long term (I guess that
you do not want to rewrite it in two years again).

Maybe C seems a little 'basic' to you, but by now, more people
are good C programmers than there are good C++ programmers.

A+

--
	Thierry Danis